Did you know you can filter for narrowly defined regions by creating a custom group from the Supply download?
This is especially helpful if the zip code delimitations in your market are not relevant to your analysis, or you would like to monitor a more specific area of interest such as a coast, a street, or even a building structure.
The Supply export contains more specific information per each listing, that can be organized, sorted, and filtered to your needs. But first, we will need to use this website https://boundingbox.klokantech.com/ to determine the coordinates for your area of interest. Follow the link and then follow these steps:
1. Type in your Market/City and the map will display its geographic overview. Zoom in to your preference, manipulating the borders of the square outline to include only the area you want to analyze. The more precise you are, the better!
2. When you are satisfied with your square outline, in the bottom left corner there is a pop up menu with different formats to read the coordinates. Select CSV RAW.
3. Copy and paste these values to a secure location, or leave this website up as we move to the Dashboard.
4. Now, click on EXPORT CSV from the Supply tab, and open the file in Excel.
5. Find columns C and D with the “lat” and “lng” labels. Select them both by clicking on the C and drag over to D, then release.
6. In the header bar, go to Data → Filter. To make navigation easier, you can go to View → Freeze Panes → Freeze Top Row.
7. Next, click on the drop down arrow to the right of “lat” to open the filter options. Scroll down to Number Filters → Between.
8. Now go back to the coordinates from BoundingBox. The 2nd and 4th numbers are the latitudes. You need to paste the lower of the 2 latitudes next to where it says “is greater than or equal to”, and the higher latitude goes next to “is less than or equal to”. Be extra careful here!
9. Select OK when done, and then repeat the process on column D, “lng”, using the 1st and 3rd coordinates from BoundingBox as the lower and upper longitudes.
10. When done correctly, only the listings within the coordinates you defined will be viewable. Side scroll to the right until you get to column AD or “url”. Select the top listing url, then CTRL+SHFT+DOWN to select the entire column.
11. Ctrl+C to copy these urls!
12. On your Dashboard under your Account settings in the top right corner, select the Custom Groups option.
13. Use Ctrl+V to paste these urls in the box (up to 5,000). Name the group with alphanumeric characters to fit the custom area you defined (in this case, Beachfront).
14. Select SAVE GROUP and you will now be able to select this custom set under the Listings Group field on the left Dashboard panel to analyze more granular pricing and occupancy data.
Remember that only the professionally managed listings will be successfully incorporated into the group, so you may see an Error notification that irrelevant data was excluded, but just reach out to us to include them!